Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

start a new tape on each backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosmatrich

IS-IT--Management
Aug 17, 2004
GB
I want to start some backups on a new tape and then, the next time I run the backup, ensure that a new tape is used and not any free space on the earlier tape. How would I do this?

This is completely against the design of NB so you will have issues doing this. The way NB uses tapes is seen as an advantage so no easy method has been provided. What you can do is run a script which changes the status of the used tapes to SUSPENDED. These tapes will then be only useable for restores untill the image on them expires.

I understand your concerns. It is risky to continue using the same tape for each days backup because if something goes wrong with the tape then you lose ALL the daily backups that are on that tape. Here is another way to do what you are asking. There are of coarse many ways to do this.
Create a multiple shedules using multiple retentions. Here is an example:
Saturday/Sunday do a weekly full with retention set to "A"
Monday/Thursday do a daily differential with retention set to "B"
Wednesday do a cumulative with retention set to "C"
Tuesday/Friday do a daily differential with retention set to "D"
or
create multiple schedules using different pool overrides.
Weekend full pool
Monday/Thursday diff pool
Wednesday cumulative pool
Tuesday/Friday diff pool

You will be using more tapes but it is physically safer for the images backed up.

Hope that helps

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

In the host properties, master server properties, media tab, uncheck "allow multiple retentions per media.

We do the same thing to keep our backups together on the same tape. It works well when you do not keep your media in the library.

The above retention based idea is best. Take 7 tapes then one for each day of the week and create 7 slightly different retention levels like- 1wk,2wk,3wk,4wk,5wk so on
In this case you will be able to figure out how long the retention needs to differe so that you cna use the same tapes over and oper if you wanted in rotation

rosmatrich,
I would be interested in the solution you decide on.

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back