Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starplus STSe Hard Drive Based VM - Need Install Assistance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentarver

Technical User
Mar 15, 2004
US
Hello Guys,

I am installing a HD Based VM on my Daughter's Business' Vodavi STSe Phone System. We have the Card installed but I haven't been able to figure out what all needs to happen to initialize the VM and program the CO's to use Auto Attendant.

Going through the manuals just makes my old head hurt.

I have been a Northern Telecom Sl1 Tech for years where programming is Terminal Based and a snap to Administer. Not so for this Vodavi system. Even you have the Background and Training for other Phone Systems it has been next to impossible to find all of the info in one place . The Manuals seem to be written with the understanding that you ALREADY KNOW what they are telling you. It took me an hour to find out what a lot of their Acronyms were referring to. I KNOW I can do it given enough time . I am just not sure I will live that long.

I also have seen references to starting Wizards I haven't been able to locate ! Are these just for the ECOM Users ? ( I don't have this software !) .

My Daughter's Business is a startup and She inherited this Phone System with her Building. I don't feel like I am stopping some Phone Tech from eating. This is Family and I want my Daughter to continue thinking I am the most intelligent Father in the World !

Thanks for any help you can provide an old man.

Ken Tarver ( A 2 bps Tech in a 43 Tbps World )

Like many products, there are a couple of steps to implement:
1. Configure voicemail to match phone system and numbering plan - this really requires the "In Skins Admin" software. I would try bob at 1stcallrms dot com (that's an email address) - he is the king of Vodavi parts. You'd also use this to configure auto attendants.
2. Configure phone system slot to match voicemail (found in Flash 24) plus add VM extensions to the voicemail group (found in Flash 65), plus configure phones to cover to VM (busy/no answer to 440 - programming done in Flash 50). Once you get your arms around Vodavi programming, it isn't so bad. But then, I've been doing it since 1989... There IS a vodavi GUI for configuring PBX called WinDBA, which is the most useful if you're configuring ARS/LCR. Other than that, I rarely use it. Your version of WinDBA must match your PBX firmware level.

Good luck!

mforrence ;

WOW ! In 7 lines of text you have practically SOLVED my Troubles !

I WILL definitely find this "King of Vodavi" and make an attempt to sponge up whatever He offers.

I DO need some additional Vodavi stuff (DSS, Modem for remoting, a Wall mount for the 24 button display phone and a 3502-01

Expansion Box. I hope I can find a good reliable supply point ! The guy I usually use in Houston and started to "RECOMMEND" whatever He happens to have on hand , not necessarily what I want or need ! He put the hard sell on his flash based VM because He didn't have the hard drive VM I wanted . He actually told me it was better AND easier to Administer.
Kind of like asking a Surgeon if He woud recommend Drug therapy instead of Surgery. You KNOW what the answer will be -----> Surgery will ALWAYS be indicated !

Anyway , I stray from the subject at hand. I REALLY do SINCERELY APPRECIATE your KIND ASSISTANCE !!!

Honestly if you have a Computer related issue I would be HONORED to ASSIST YOU !!! GRATIS OF COURSE !!!

Ken Tarver (a 2 Bit Tech in a 43 Tbps World )

Regarding the flash-based voicemail - it doesn't require the proprietary software to configure, only the terminal emulation software of your choice. Frankly, the flash is most often used, mostly because these were always small sites with basic needs. Bob has a lotta stuff. From the email address, you can likely determine his web address.
Cheers!

mforrence ,

I WAS able to find the software from a sympathetic soul whom I will not Out on this Forum ! I re-visited the VM Install site again Monday Evening and was not able to get the Software to install . Apparently it requires some flavor of XP and the site only has Workstations with win 7 installed . I normally just use a Laptop on site (from my Daughter's Desk) but I forgot I had recently updated EVERYTHING to Win7 Pro 64 bit ! Oh Well , The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men and all that!

I know I have at least three old XP Laptops here in this Mountain of my Technical Existence ! I will PREVAIL !!! If a man created it a man can fix it ! At least that is what I keep telling myself !

Thanks !

Ken Tarver

P.S. I do know that there is an XP mode available under WIN7 64 Bit. I started to use that but Micro$oft has a bunch of warnings about the Security exposure of Installing Xp Mode on a WIN 7 Pro 64 Bit Computer Workstation. The computer is supposed to be disconnected from the Internet if you are using XP Mode . Sounds like another push towards win 8.2 which I positively Hate !!!

That software will certainly be 32-bit. You may be able to run Win7 Pro in compatibility mode and make it work. I keep a ten year old laptop on hand for just such emergencies - has been the saving grace more times than I can count.

Mforrence ,

Do you know if Software Updates are still available for this VM System on STSe ? I keep seeing references to newer software than is loaded on my VM. Do you know where I can obtain the updated software for this VM ( hard drive based ) ?

I am also confused by the Flash 24 programming where you tell the STSe what VM is installed . I know it will take a "17" which returns a card type of VMD1 , it will also take an"18" which returns card type VM2B , Which is correct ?

Thanks !

Ken TArver

Hi Ken,
Regarding Flash 24, my book says to use 17 for flash or HD based voicemail, so that's what I'd use
Regarding software updates, there has not been any new software for these products for a number of years - maybe 2007 was year of latest update. However, everything is relative. If you have software from 2001 on your PC, then software from 2005 is "new". I BELIVE that the last phone system firmware was 102 and the in-skin Flash version was 20053. I don't know the latest HD or "In-Skins admin" versions. Bob at RMS is a good resource.

mforrence ,

Thanks for the info ! I agree about the Flash 24 Programmings of the STSe . The "17" program choice is what works on this STSe System and the Hard Drive Based Voice Mail. I am certain because I used the "18" recommended by the STS P&O Docs and it definitely DOES NOT WORK with this VM Card !!!

We are catching grief in trying to make the VM Answer as we would like. We have it set-up as Auto Attendant and we followed the HARD DRIVE Based VM Programming in the STSe Quick Start Doc. Internally we are able to dial the 150 port and it follows the Day/Night Prompts we have recorded for the system. Our problem is with actually calling in to the STSe System through a CO. We get entirely different prompts that appear to be stock prompts that come programmed in the VM System. I know something in the Quick Start Doc must be guiding us wrong but we haven't been able to figure out what it is. The programming of this VM System seems mighty convuluted and obtuse. It just doesn't do what you would expect it to do. We followed the recommendations for the busy no answer , no answer forwards and about 8 different program points to make it do what we want it to do . The problem is that it works correctly internally but not when presented with an external call.

I guess I will be the reigning local VODAVI VM Programming Expert when I am done with this monster ! I have only about 22 hours , so far though !

BTW , I DID try to Contact this Bob at RMS and I asked about the INSkins Admin Programs and WINDBA and also firmware for the VM itself and He sounded like He didn't have a clue what I wanted ! I told him I was interested in purchasing additional Vodavi Stuff and that I was willing to pay for programming help , but the responses I got from him were less than stellar. I thought I had maybe gotten connected directly with Vertical because I got from Bob what I would have expected to get from Vertical by not being a "Certified Vodavi / Vertical Installer" !

Do you have any other suggestions ?

Thanks for your Help !

Ken Tarver

Like any system, there are many paths to a certain result.
Regarding hitting VM thru CO: I would put VM ports into hunt group 1 (Don't remember what FLASH this is, but the book knows) and then have CO ring to hunt group 1 (Flash 40). You can then control day/night greeting from within voicemail.
Regarding Bob, I may have made an assumption. He has been our go-to for parts, but I've never needed tech assistance from him. I actually think that Target Distributing in Gaithersburg, MD is the official legacy support organization. All part of the challenge of trying to install an obsolete and unfamiliar system... I've learned that lesson too many times... cheaper in the end to simply install something that you're familiar with or to hire a local vendor. Yup, leart that one too many times... Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back