Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

StarOffice 5.1 and MS Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASCTech

MIS
Mar 26, 1999
US
How can one set up StarOffice to send/reseive email via MS Exchange server?

Never tried it myself, but I'd assume that you need the MS Exchange Internet Connectors installed. Then StarOffice could talk POP and SMTP to the server.<br>
<br>
As I understand it, by default, MS Exchange uses it's own proprietary protocol for talking to Windows based clients that can use MAPI. As StarOffice (and all other things Unix) uses open mail standards that means getting Exchange to talk POP/SMTP, then you should be OK.

Never tried it myself, but I'd assume that you need the MS Exchange Internet Connectors installed. Then StarOffice could talk POP and SMTP to the server.<br>
<br>
As I understand it, by default, MS Exchange uses it's own proprietary protocol for talking to Windows based clients that can use MAPI. As StarOffice uses open mail standards that means getting Exchange to talk POP/SMTP, then you should be OK.

Good points Andy, however, the Exchange server is not under my control. Is there any way of making Solaris (& StarOffice) interoperate with the Exchange (MAPI)?

As far as I know, there aren't any open source (whatever happened to public domain?... ;) MAPI connectors for Unix. Even the mighty fetchmail only talks POP (various flavours) and IMAP (all versions). (Then again, considering it's written by ESR, it's probably no surprise it doesn't talk MAPI.) I'd be very happy if somebody could prove me wrong on this one :^))<br>
<br>
I was distantly associated with an installation of the MS Exchange Internet Connector a couple of years ago, and from what I can recall it's a fairly simple process. Also, I think that it used to be part of MS Exchange, and therefore not an extra cost.<br>
<br>
A thought just occurred - and this would be a real frig - that maybe you could use one of the many Windows API emulation libraries. WABI, WINE, A.N.Y.Other... You could then have a MS Exchange client reading mail from the Exchange Server, and automatically "forwarding" all mail to the Solaris server via SMTP... Don't know if this is possible, or would work, though...<br>
<br>
Good luck, and let us all know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back