Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starfish Sidekick in Windows 7 - can't locate V98... Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJS2

Technical User
Dec 22, 2009
US
Hi,

I'm visiting because the posts here are the most recent and relevant. I've been using Sidekick for years. For the past 5 years, I've been using Sidekick 2 in XP (SP2) with no problems. I make daily entries in the Notes module, and maintain several Card files.

I just got a new computer with Windows 7. As others have posted, I can't get it to run in Windows 7.
(I was able to install and run NetPad and an old free version of ACDSee. I have a Sidekick 95 disk somewhere, but I can't find it.)

I was able to locate and download Sidekick 99, which runs fine on XP, but as others have posted, won't install in Windows 7. So I've been searching for a Sidekick 98 download, and just going in circles. Every website posted on google which says "download" (free or not) does not have it for download.

I tried the ftp Starfish link I saw posted here, but I get only Website Not Found messages. (On one page, I saw a notice that they're trying to sell the domain.)

Since posters here have said that only Sidekick 98 can run in Win 7, I would so much appreciate it if someone can give me a lead to where I can download it.

Kami
89ks67@verizon.net

Thank you for both the reply and for archiving this old but great software.

I have an update from after I posted this, which might be of interest to readers here. I was searching for the SKW95 diskette, when I suddenly "found" a SK-99 CD! I didn't even know I had it.

I then put the CD in the new Win 7 computer.... and it installed and the software seems to be running okay ... even the next day when I booted up the computer.

The only problem I had, which I might have caused, is that I wasn't able to shut it down, because I didn't realize it was minimized and not closed when I tried to shut down Windows. Apparently, Win 7 won't close when software is open.

Kami

P.S. SK 99 automatically installed in XP compatibility mode.

You're welcome but I have to point out that it was not I who archived all of this old Sidekick software.

By the way, I have been using Sidekick 2 for years now, most recently with Win XP, and have not had problems. I did try SideKick 98 but found no reason to change over. The primary way I use Sidekick is to keep track of my various contacts and, most importantly, I have found the Card Log feature to be invaluable in keeping track of communications with people over the years.

The main reason I have resisted transitioning to some other PIM is that I cannot figure out an easy way of converting the Card Log data and integrating it into another PIM.

Long live SideKick!

Doug

Same here, SKW 2 on XP/SP2 for years. I'm embarrassed to say this, but one reason I didn't start using a later version is because I like the different color tabs in SK2. But it won't load in Win 7.

Thanks to whoever did the archiving.... and

Ditto on the Long Live Sidekick!!

Kami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back