Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Star talk Flash 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck95

Technical User
May 21, 2002
US
I have a Star talk Flash that don't seem to be working any more. The light is on. It don't answer though. The system don't see it either. What is that db25 port for...can I use it to see if the system is really dead. If i get a new one...can I use the same pcmcia card and keep the memory? Thanks for your help.

Chuck Chuck Berg
Performance Telecom

chuck@performancetele.com During Hours
me@chucks-web.com After hours

25 pin is for printing...did you reboot the system at least twice? (unplug black cord and plug back in) you can use the software on a new vmail flash unit if required but your out of luck for memory.
spoclogo2.jpg

Under programming maintenance->port/DN status check to see if the system sees the startalk as a connected device on the dn or port that you are connected to.

Make sure you wait at least 5-10 minutes after restarting voicemail before you try to use it (it just seems to be slow on startups)

Try doing a Feature 9 * 1 and see if your feature codes are still in the system.

what is your phone system software level and same question on the startalk.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

If you have a 4 port Flash remove the 4 port expansion cartridge and boot it up as a 2 port, make sure it boots up. then power down and insert the 4 port catridge and boot it up again, you'll have to reprogram this flash from scratch, but it does work I just did it just the other day.

you can connect a laptop to the db 25 and see the output from the flash. It is a standard serial connection 9600, 8, n, 1, xon xoff. this tells a whole lot as to what is dead.

Curlycord do you have an email?

Yes sir! sbwdaddy@yahoo.ca

I myself are one of the few who have hooked up to the printer with hyper terminal(last time to see if I could change C.O.S. but no) but never tried when the Flash is not responding....I guess it does tell a story? would be nice to try out as I have a dead one in my tech center right now.

I started a thread on shorting out the capacitor on a flash unit btw and the admin deleted it for some insane reason which I am pissed about as no reason was given.Did anyone witness a nasty reply from somebody to warrant a deletion? thanks to those who responded that I did not get to see btw :)

Thanks for any info :)

The flash spits everything out to the serial port. power on diagnostics, everything.

curlycord,

I think that you were asking how to hack into a flash without buying the upgrade, that and asking/offering to do something illeagle will get you a red flag pretty fast on this site.

check out faq799-2890 for what are most of the basic rules that this site adheres to. JerryReeve
com-sys.com

hook it up to a computer
did the power cycle on and off a lot
first power up walk away (5 min)
come back if release 1.7 or higher
feature 903
feature 983
config

if not maybe the flash card is bad the card is fragile

westcoaster
The Everything that the flash spits out, Does that include info on calls coming into the flash? ie the digits of the telephone that a call is goint to vm from? if so does the NAM do the same thing on it's serial port? JerryReeve
com-sys.com

Quote from Jerry:
curlycord,

I think that you were asking how to hack into a flash without buying the upgrade, that and asking/offering to do something illeagle will get you a red flag pretty fast on this site.

I think you grossly misunderstood what I was attempting to do and that was to erase data put into the flash by VML software as full vm was to be put in and not vml...this is a far cry from hacking software.
I am an authorized Nortel dealer adverstising here and would not jeapordize my postion with them and if you feel that I am doing wrong then please if you would not mind direct your comments to the site admin (David Murphy)and not to me for his review.

I understand you just passed your 4.0 Vmail and MICS courses...congrats Jerry! :)

To answer your call info I would have to say only SMDR is capable of capture and print but yes you can also hook up thru the serial port to get info etc and change COS on the NAMs without Norstar manager.
Cheers :)

I think chuck95's post has been hijacked, as I was the first to go astray I apologize.
I should amend the "everything" When the flash is booted the progress of the boot is sent to the serial port,pcmcia self test start of access lack of station ports etc. If there is no pcmcia there is no output to the serial port. It tells when the flash is booted and operational. It also sends the error logs to the serial port, this may be a way to capture more than one page worth of event logs from the flash. (reading and understanding them is another matter) There are the print reports accessable through 983 that go to the serial port and of course there is the programming available. I don't doubt I have missed something...
No there is no output to the serial port on the nam during the boot, or any other time I am aware of...There was a Itas tip on how to read the led's on the nam, the number escapes me at this time...

curlycord,
I was refering to what may have cut your thread only.

Obviously you found our website and (just as obviously) we need to have the newsletter updated, or just remove the word recently.

The info on the port wasn't what I was hoping for but thanks anyway.
JerryReeve
com-sys.com

Ya thats the thread I was also refering to...I did talk to David Murphy and he said he didnt delete it so it got lost due to a glich I suppose lol and yes I was poking around your site...wake them up lol.
Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back