Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

standard VS Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

daNewfie

Programmer
Oct 14, 2004
CA
I just got off the phone with a lady at adobe and Im not satified with the answer I got. Just a feeling I got from her that she was not 100% sure what she was talking about.

I was trying which edition to purchase and $$ is a factor
I own my own server (just one)+ my MS Sql server and I want to purchase cf.

Now I want to run multiple sites on the server obviously. She told me to do that, I will need enterprise, is that true or can I run multiple sites with the standard edition..

what are the drawbacks....

Thanks in advance
Craig

Unless you're going to be clustering multiple web servers together (which you aren't), then you don't need Enterprise. I've seen a CF Standard host close to 100 CF websites and not even have to strain. It's all I've every used.

The Adobe rep may have been thinking about multiple instances of CF Server on your machine.

Hope This Helps!

ECAR
ECAR Technologies

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

also, cf enterprise has sandbox security where standard does not

=========================================
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

daNewfie said:
what are the drawbacks....

If the sites will be super busy or untrusted people will be uploading code (ie, Shared Hosting) then unless you want to restrict a lot of the tags that can be used, go for Enterprise.

There are some tags a lot of people don't think about securing when using Standard. CFMAIL is a major security risk on Standard if untrusted people can upload code, because it basically gives them unrestricted access to a lot of the system.

If only trusted people will be able to upload code and the sites are not really busy, Enterprise would be a waste of money.

Hope this helps

Wullie

Fresh Look - Quality Coldfusion 7/Windows Hosting
YetiHost - Coming Soon

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Thanks alot guys....

I will be the only one ploading to the site...It is my personal server and I wount be hosting other peoples sites

Regards
Craig

DaNewfie, if this is your personal site then am i right assume you will only be using this for development and testing bits and pieces?

If so then Macrodobe offer a FREE version of coldfusion enterprise which is for 'development' it just limits the number of concurrent connections to the server to 2 clients.

Rob

Hi Rob

I actually already have the development enviorment on my computer for development and testing. But What I want is to install the Full Legal version on my deployment server when my site goes live in September.

Craig

I will be the only one ploading to the site...It is my personal server and I wount be hosting other peoples sites

Just go for Standard then, Enterprise would be overkill for what you need. This is obviously not the case if you need any features that are only in Enterprise though, such as event gateway support.

Wullie

Fresh Look - Quality Coldfusion 7/Windows Hosting
YetiHost - Coming Soon

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

I want to thank everyone who responded in this thread. You just saved me a truckload of $$. The beauty of it I can always upgrade if need be at a later date.

Regards
Craig

Yeah i'll agree with Wullie, but even in the case you want to use the SMS Gateway, there are so any other more cost effective solutions.

When talking to an SMS agregator last week about intergration into my app, although they offer the SMNP (i think) support that the CF Gateway pushes out, they seemed to think it was more stable, reliable and flexible to post to them using HTTP GET and leave the agregations and gateways interfacing to them.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back