Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard or Enterprise edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

arouhi

Programmer
Jul 7, 2001
US
Hi,

Currently , I'm running exchange server 5.5 enterprise edition and want to install another exchange server in the remote location and connect these two site together with site connector. which edition of exchange server should I buy? Standard or Enterprise ( as you may know there is a huge price diferrent between Std. and Ent. )

thanks
:)
-Nuclear

The only real differences between Standard and Enterprise is standard has a 16 gig limitation on the Information Store and Enterprise comes with a few additional connectors. If you are just using site connector and a small number of users Standard edition should work just fine. Just monitor the Information store to make sure it does not approach 16 gigs.

I was told by Microsoft's Sales Rep. that Exchange Server Standard Edition doesn't support X.400 connectors. Do I really Need X.400 Connector in order to connect Two exchange servers in two Different Locations?

Thanks
-Nuclear

The benefit of X.400 connectors is you have more control over the settings of that connector which means you can tune the connector to your bandwidth and requirements.

Site connectors are not as flexible and use more bandwidth on a link. If you expect low traffic between the sites and/or have good bandwidth between the sites, you should not have any issues using the site connector.

I will use a full T1 line to connect the two sites. is it enough for regular site connector?

thanks
-Nuclear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back