Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard modem installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamerHan

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
GB
Hello people.

Just a problem which I need help to resolve. I've got a laptop that was brought a couple of years ago, with windows xp currently running on it. I'm trying to connect to the internet with it, but when the modem tries to dial, I get the error message "no dial tone detected". All the cabling and everything seems to be fine, which is leading me to think that there may be driver problems. However, I can't seem to find the original installation disk, and therefore have no idea what driver to install. And as you may know, opening up a laptop to read the tiny tags that they stick onto the nano-modem is a risky, and might I add, a sweaty task. My question is: Is there a 'standard' modem driver that I can install which should get the modem to work, and can I find this driver on a windows xp installation disk (or any other disk for that matter)?

All your advice and suggestions are greatly appriciated.

Thank you all in advance.

It's not a driver issue. it's a bad modem if you get a dial tone when hooking a phone to that line. Either the mini pci modem if you have one on that laptop would have to be replaced or the system board.

Rich

I shall use google before asking stupid questions!

If you think its a stupid question, maybe you shouldn't answer it. So keep your stupid comments to yourself!!!

Definately a driver issue. I would suggest to run Belarc Advisor. This program gives you all your hardware in the machine. You can download. Do a google search. Regards

Jurgen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back