Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

standard input and output errors on an interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

cisc0kid

ISP
Apr 21, 2010
ZA
Hi,

Does anyone have a paper or link or something that specifies what the maximum threshold for errors and other counters on an ethernet interface are, recommended values etc. or just what you think.

Show command on cisco switch gives lots of counters but how much is bad for a very busy interface. Values in percentage or per 1000 packets or bytes etc.?

Clear your counters, if you get more than 1 or 2 errors in 1000 packets, then you have a wiring problem or a NIC issue. Address it. You should be able to do hundreds of thousands of packets without any errors, if not millions.

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Just to add...
Sometimes you will get a number of errors from certain machines even after you have replace the cable(and certifying it with a CAT tester) and the NIC, so if your getting a low number of errors per week on a line (low number per week, say 10-25) I would not get fanatical about re-running lines and replacing NICs. Many cables which pass cert testing should have under 100 errors over a couple month period, many will have 0 errors, some devices on a network will produce more errors then others such as an older sonicwall (323 over a month) I have on one of my networks. Basically I am saying do not replace lines/NICs for a few errors building over a week or month's time; re-running a cable (and certifying) and replacing the NIC may not bring the error count down.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back