Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard Deviation for Multiple Columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

bioinformatic

Technical User
Oct 22, 2001
US
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to find the standard deviation for numbers in multiple columns?

Column
1 2 3 4 5 STDEV

23 12 90 01 93 44.246

I've tried using STDEV but I have errors in implementing it.

Thanks,
Randy Wei

STDEV in Ms. A is an SQL function/value, thus it applies to COLUMNS, not rows. The function could be implemented in a VBA procedure (as the actual math involved is trivial), and the rowset values could be passed to the procedure to obtain the results. Otherwise, the data would ned to be processed through either a crosstab query or a piviot tale to obtain the row-column change and then apply the STDEV.

Also, be careful of the use of STDEV vs. STDEVP - in MS speak, the former is a SAMPLE, while the P denotes Population.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

I read Micheal Red's message of STDevP function, but I am still having some complications.

I have 3 textboxes on a form, area1, area2, and area3. I have one 1 textbox called stddev, but when I attempt implementing the function StDevP in the control source of the stddev textbox, I still receive error messages. Could someone assist me with the syntax?

Thanks,
Lynn B.

Really? Read it? It is an SQL function. It would ONLY be available for use on a recordset field (column). Otherwise, you would need to implement a USER DEFINED FUNCTION which incorporates the math. It is NOT difficult. The 'Math' (algebra) is NOT difficult and may be found in Excel (help, documentation, and -I think- even in hte object browser, and certainly in some stats. textbooks).

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back