Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standalone win32 apps (I don't have bc builder, I have BC5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsomers

Programmer
Apr 5, 2004
IE
Thank you for those who replied to my first post. But the Faqs outlined were for Borland Builder and not Borland C++ 5. I am using BC 5 and the options for packages, etc are not as in Builder. Can anyone help please ?

djsomers;)

The options are set up on your compiler. For example, -tWR tells the compiler to use the dynamic RTL package. You may have to see what options are set when you compile. These are set differently depending on whether you are compiler at the command line or using and IDE.

If using an IDE, look at the project options in your menu. If using the command line, look at the configuration files in the compiler's diretory, unless you are specifying a different config file. James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that I am now qualified
to do anything with nothing.

When using Borland C++ can you make the exact program as you were if using the Borland C++ Builder? Like Edit Boxes Labels and etc? Can you alse use tha Window's Dll's or this is just a privilege of Builder?

How does anybody knows if he need's
Borland C++ Builder
or Borland C++?

There is nothing you can't do with Builder that you can't do with the C++ 5.5 compiler. The biggest difference is that Builder allows you to create Window apps much faster.

To create a list box in Builder, I could drag the component to the form and it is created for me. With just the compiler, I would have to code the box by hand.

Builder 5 uses the 5.5 compiler that is available for free but with Builder I can create a form in minutes that would take hours to do manually with just the compiler.

If all you are doing is console apps (no windows), the compiler works just a good as Builder and actually may be easier to use since there is less overhead. If you are just beginning C++, the free compiler is best IMHO.

But when you starting doing more complex Window apps, Builder is impossible to beat. James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that I am now qualified
to do anything with nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back