Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standalone VB.Net Database Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1biscuit

Programmer
Oct 8, 2001
US
I have a customer that wants to have laptops collect data and produce reports. During this process there are no Internet and/or network connections. So I am looking at developing it in VB.net and/or VB6 (Some win 98 machines so I am leaning toward VB6). What do you all suggest for the back end Database? Also, I will only be providing an install disk and not actually installing the software on anyone’s laptop. Thus my install program must configure the database automatically. To add another level of difficulty, he does not want Access as the backend database.

Thanks in Advance
Thom

I am looking at Sql Server Express. Thank you

Do you know what the cost of db4 is?

Thanks
Thom

mySql is an easy option too. and best of all it's free. however I'm not sure about how to do reports.

good luck!

I have the same issue, but we will not have access to the 60-70 laptops in the field. we need to push everything to them(app and db) We are looking at flatfile, mdb file or xml as the db. First question, does the laptop need Access to connect to the mdb? Will xml be the best?

thanks,
stedd0

The link I gave to SQL Server Express is a free database and will be much more efficient if you are looking at storing and retrieving information.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help finding an answer?

Try the search facilty ( or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Ok, I just re-read your post.
I had 35 laptops in the field on my last job. Here's how I did it.
I wrore a vb6 app that ftp'd the zipped info off a server and down to the laptops. I used a MS Access database. Then when the zip file cam to the laptop, it unzipped it, deleted the zip file, and transferred the contents of the Access database to the local Access database on the laptop. I then used that for running the reports.

This was also an order entry app too. After it downloaded the zipped file, it uploaded the salesperson's orders to the server.

Does the local machines need MS Access if I need everything thru code just to read/write to that MDB file?

No. I did not install Access on the local machine. But you should have a license for each machine under M$. I think.

No, you can use MDBs without needing a copy of access on the machine. You can also use a copy of Access to set up links to backend databases that fire up when the laptop is connect to the network, and then distribute just the database to all your laptops - the linked tables will still be intact. You can then put a button in your code to move data from the "on the road" local Access tables to the linked SQL Server tables (or Oracle,etc) , and you just have to code the INSERTs. Its a very good way to do it.

And it's clean. I don't like Access much, but the database is good for this kind of things.

I agree about access as a db, but the forms-and stuff not the easiest. I use sometimes for the query tool to get the SQL statement started.
Thank everyone!
stedd0

Guys,
Thanks for all the input. I am looking at sql server lite. But I was wanting to keep my options open. I don't Microsoft to own everything in my life...

Thanks
Thom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back