Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standalone Message Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

laminator

MIS
Dec 16, 2003
US
Where can I find a standalone message light for my ACS R6/PM R6? I have a shared mail box and would like to have something on the wall or ceiling to indicate waiting messages. I can only find the neon type which I understand are not compatible.

Hi laminator,
A cheap phone with an LED MWL should work, they sell separate devices too but I bet they cost more. I haven't tried, but you might be able to make one with a resistor, diode and LED. If I get a chance I may try.
-Chris

Thanks for the replies. I currently have a Partner 6 mounted on the wall. The MWL is too small for the large room that it's in. The LED stuff that sandman sells is too small as well. I'm looking for something similar to his NEON Beehive light. I assume it would require it's own power source to work with a Partner system. Can you point me to some of these seperate devices? I've done some searching but don't even know what they're called.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I don't know if anyone makes that. Use a standalone MWL and modify it to trigger the bigger light. Why not relocate the phone closer to where the user is? Or mount the unit Sandman sells in a different location, bidged on the first pair?
-Chris

If we knew what the voltage of the MW signal was it might help to rig something up. I never checked it myself. A wheelok UTA-1 (with strobe light, requires 120v for light), settings for 24,48&90V would be ideal if you could figure out how to connect it.

We had this discussion a few months ago here. I have never had reason to do this so no direct experience. If anyone has actually made an external MW indicator (or non-Partner system phone with MW light) work with Partner please let us know and prove me wrong. Anything else is just conjecture.

As I said in the previous thread I believe the Partner MW LED in the phones is activated by data commands the same as any of the other LEDs for the buttons. There is no way then to connect an external MW indicator because there is nothing to control it external to the phone.

In other MW schemes a DC bias is added to the T/R conductors when the lamp is to light. This is what those external indicators are designed to work with. Unfortunately Partner does not work this way.

-Hal

Hi toolman18,
laminator needs to trigger a message waiting light, which is around 5V reverse polarity pulse I think. You are talking about an auxilary ringer.
-Chris

Hal,
Just plugged in an 8101 SLP phone with MWL. Guess what? The LED flashes on & off. This phone just uses the tip / ring pair, not the power / data pair so.... There must be a way to make this work. I haven't had time to wire anything up, but I'm curious now. This will have to wait until I'm back from England.
-Chris

Figure out the MW lamp pulse voltage on a SLP and isolate it to a compatible relay to trip an auxilary light (such as a wheelock UTA-1), and laminator's in business.

Hey done a panasonic you could have had a light on your
phone for that mailbox with just a program of a flex button!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back