Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

StandAlone Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

khoshtip

Technical User
Aug 27, 2005
US
Ive just installed Java v1 from a book (whats the current version?) and created a basic applet and standalone application.

The problem with the standalone application

System.out.println("My first stand alone application is a success.");

is that the output is shown in a dos box for about half a second and then the dos box closes. Any comments on how to prevent this?

Also Im using windows xp -- how do I access MSDos from this operating system?

(I used to be a programmer many yrs ago.Am a refugee and am attempting to retrain so I can get a decent job when I find a country to relocate to)

thanks.

How do you start your application?
Start it from the commandline (Start/Run/ "cmd /x"). (Is this your second question?)

How to prevent the box from disappearing depends on your way to start it.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

khoshtip, the current version of Java is 1.5

If you open a command window in XP using the 'cmd' command (use the Start->Run facility), then if you run your program from here your output will remain visible. Just make sure you are in the correct directory before you run your program.

Tim
---------------------------
"Your morbid fear of losing,
destroys the lives you're using." - Ozzy

1.5 is in beta, and has a lot features that most end-user JVMs may not support yet. I'd suggest 1.4.2, because it's been out for a long time now, and most machines have JVM that can run it.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

So I'm not a serious user ... Oh, and I have to tell the 90% of the Jav professionals I work with that they're not serious.

Thanks, stefan, for being the light of the dark programmers.

Cheers,
Dian

I'm not serious either, I use 1.4.2 [surprise]

Tim

1.5 is stable and backward-compatible.
Why should we stay using 1.4?

2004:
Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition 5 (Project Tiger) is release
The Java technology-powered Mars Rover (Spirit) touches down on Mars
Sun Java Studio Creator is launched

cited from:

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Why should we stay using 1.4

Because to update our software to use 1.5 will require resource to retest the software and update all installers. (The migration from 1.3 to 1.4 DID break some code). We don't currently have time to do this so we are not moving to 1.5 yet.

Tim

Dammit, migration to 1.4 was a nightmare. I still remember that focus becoming crazy, compatibility with external products, recompilation and so on.

Oh, and I remember that our standard development tool for Java didn't support 1.4.

So ... why not change to 1.5? My question is ... why to do so? Let's keep things working, and let's use that for completely new thigs, but in a while.

Cheers,
Dian

Performance improvements, default handling of exceptions and so on ... yes, I also know what Tiger is.

But now back to the real world: If you don't recompile and update the old code, it won't work. If you update a server, you have to update all Java software in that server, and pray for external products to be compatible for the new version.

Cheers,
Dian

I probably won't consider a migration to 1.5 until there's a feature it provides that the software I'm responsible for requires. I can code okay without needing things like generics. If 1.4 had a serious bug in a critical area that was fixed in 1.5 .. now that would change things. Or if the various 3rd party tools/libraries I need start to mandate 1.5 as a minimum ... not gonna happen for a while I think.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back