Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stand Alone Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xolotl

Technical User
Jul 18, 2003
US
I am currently running a small network (20 users) configure as a Workgroup. All my clients are XP Pro and I have only one 2003 server.

I would like to upgrade my network to a Domain environment, but apparently part of the requirements are to have more than one Server. Is this true or can I survive with one stand alone domain controller?

Also, I would like to add an MS Exchange server eventually, could this run on the same machine configure as DC?

Does a exchange server only runs in a domain environment or can this run alone?

What is the most cost effective and reliable way to have small network using these two Microsoft products?

Thanks for your help.

you can run fine with one DC, just make sure you have a good backup strategy for the DC so you can recover from a disaster. as for the exchange server, its best practice to get a second server that will not be a 2nd DC but only an exchange server. never want to put exchange on a DC, unless its an SBS server and i would never buy an SBS server. just my opinion.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Thanks Roadki11 for your help.

i wouldn't run a single DC unless the data you keep is worthless which I doubt. If your DC fails in anyway you lose all your authentication and permissions on all your data.

I'm not saying you can't get it back but you'll have a big headache the day you install a patch or something and it takes out your server installation.

You can take backups but you'd better do regular testing of the backups to make sure you know how to restore AD on a failed enviroment.

Also, where are you going to run the backup server from? the same server or another one (so u have 2 right?)? In other words, if you have only one server - should it fail your users will not be able to log on. They won't be able to read email, your backup server has also just been lost, access to your files have also just been lost and 20 people will be looking for a 5 minute fix.

I would recommend 2 DC's over the problems associated with a failed domain any day!

So yes, it can run on one server, but when it goes belly up you'd better know how to recover. I suppose it depends on the productivity loss and data loss, some companies its not an issue, some it is.

SBS sounds good for smaller ops but I don't use it, maybe it has some funky business continuity built in? I have seen many a Windows server not boot up after what should be normal maintenance.

A properly configured SBS box with a decent RAID array and a proper backup regime is a robust and cost effective solution for a small business with up to 50 odd users (It does actually support 75 users)

Your scenario (assuming 2003) would require 2 DCs and an exchange box to meet xoloti's needs. Apart from the initial hardware cost, there would be an additional technical admin overhead more than likely.

SBS is scalable, so if xoloti decided at a later date to add more servers, eg a TS box to the domain, it is entirely possible to do so without any drama.

Given the technical requirments stated in xoloti's post, and the need to be cost effective as well as reliable, the best solution would actually be SBS IMO

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back