Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stand alone EXE will not work on other computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashr

Programmer
Apr 19, 2005
HU
I created an Exe program & transfered it to another computer , I also transfered the Dll files hoping that it will work there , it didn't work for some reason , looking for help/advice on this issue.

Thank's

A simply copy of the files is not a good idea. There are runtime and other files that need to be registered. Use Installshield Express that ships with VFP to create a setup package and install that way.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

Thank's craigber , to create a instalation package can I do it within VFP , is it part of the VFP or is it external software ??

InstallShield is a separate install on the VFP CD.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Thank's mgagnon , after looking at the InstallShield software I understood I don't realy need it becase I need one time to put all the runtime files on a new computer & then I have just to replace the EXE file when doing changes on the program (1 program only) , I would be happy to get the list of all the runtime files which should be on the computer in order to run the EXE files.

I would be happy to get the list of all the runtime files which should be on the computer in order to run the EXE files.

The link to the other thread pointed to you lists all the runtime files required and as Craig indicated it also shows the files that need to be registered and in what order. Don't forget the registration part as this will prevent future problems.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Evrything is fine like somebody saied that the surgery was a sucsess but the patient died , evrything to do with Microsoft is problematic , in FPW2.6 it was enught to copy one file ESL file to shared folder & evrything was working fine now in VFP in the form layout there is an option "show window" , one of the option is "2-As-Top Level Form" , when selecting this option the EXE form will open directly on the desktop not within VFP main window & that's perfect , the problem is when closing this EXE form it will stay in the memory (not visible) even there is a command at the end of the program RELEASE ALL & this is called STANDALONE , Maybe someone know how to overcome this problem.

Thank's

Code:
Clear events 
quit

Mike Gagnon

Thank's mgagnon , your code solved the problem.

Ashr, There is an install for VFP 6. with service pack 3.

load vfp to the command window, Click on tools, wizards, then select setup. select your vfp project and follow the promps. Ive used this install for years.

Another trick I use, not realy a trick is to create a small project that contains one form, I compile this small project and create an install for it.

then when someone moves a fox program to a new computer. as long as they copy the complete file structure for the program with all .exe and dbf etc... the run this small project and install it to a test directory. This install will install all the dll's needed to run a simple fox .exe

I hope this helps

Jim Garry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back