Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stand Alone application (.exe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wantok52

Technical User
Dec 23, 2002
AU
have developed a database in Access 2000 and would like to further develop this to a stand alone Windows application/programme. Could I do this with the Visual Basic Express beta 2 eddition?

How easy is it to transfer all my forms, queries and reports to the visual basic platform?

The database has several tables, forms, queries and reports.

There is no "auto" transfer?, or wizards as such!

Its "simply" a case of rewriting your forms and probably reports. Any data operations presuming you are going to retain an Access database such as queries etc, can be retained and called through ADO.Net

Sweep
...if it works dont f*** with it
...if its f****ed blame someone else
...if its your fault that its f***ed, say and admit nothing.

Thanks Sweep for your reply. I figured I would have to rework the forms and reports in VB. Can I also use queries in VB? Can I finish up with an executable programme suitable for distribution to users without Acces or VB?

Regards,

Marcus

Yes...you can get a .Net executable, which simply needs the .Net Runtime, and your Access MDB files. If however you are going to store lots and lots of data, I would look at some other back end db.

Sweep
...if it works dont f*** with it
...if its f****ed blame someone else
...if its your fault that its f***ed, say and admit nothing.

Another consideration might be that you want to use a beta version of Express. It may/may not allow you to connect to access. Earlier beta only allowed connection to MSDE 2005.

AND as you want to use a beta, therew MAY be a time out period for your application, meaning after a certain date, the app may no longer work (IOW, you'd need the regular, released version, due out in Nov-dec 2005)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back