Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stand Alone Access Application 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbo456

Programmer
Mar 12, 2005
US
I have a need to develop an application for an employer that fits beautifully with Access. The only problem is that the employer does not have Microsoft Office thus no Microsoft Access. To complicate the matter even more his current system utilizes Windows 98 and Windows XP.

My question is, can I develop an Access application that

1. will run in both Windows 98 and
Windows XP without the user having
Access installed on his system?

Any help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi,

the only way I can think of is using a runtime Version of Access. That means you would have to buy a runtime Development kit which is not quite cheap. I don't know exactly how much it would cost but you can probably try ebay and have a look there. As I understand - compiled as a runtime Version an Access Database does not require an installed Access anymore.

Martin

If you can fine Access 2000 Developer (part of Office 2000 developer) You could create a Runtime version and I am pretty sure it would run fine on both 98 and XP with no problem. You would just need to install Access Runtime on the users computers.

Or Access 2003 developer (The developer tools are part of Visual Studio Tools for Office 2003). Again you would need to install Access Runtime on the users computers.

On Second thought, I believe it will run fine with either version as long as you have Runtime on the users computers.

Good Luck.

Thomas Bailey
a/k/a TomCat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back