Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Staging tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

onebyone

Technical User
Jul 12, 2003
US
Hi
Can anyone explain what staging tables are.I read somewhere that it is cleanup mediator.in other workds it is what happens after extraction and before loading into the target database

sanjay

Just think of this as a temporary table where you can do all the transformations. The advantage of this is when the target are online table we cannot update it on the fly, so one option is to put first in the staging tables and then after the you have successfully loaded it, you can now push all the data for the day to your real target table.

Hope this helps.

Apart from jlito's example where you do not want to update a target table for a period of time there can be situations where extraction becomes to slow a process due to very complex filters. I use a staging table for order information that contains only order data on ranges of customers (and with other filters set) for a purchase-inventory system. I use this staging table as a source instead of the ERP table , since direct extraction from ERP resulted in ultra-slow performance...........

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back