Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Staff Movement Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

hgg21

Programmer
Apr 25, 2002
SG
Hi,

I have this plan to start a staff movement database. However I need some tips on how to get it going.

There are 3 shifts per day. 2 persons per shift. I have 3 tables. 1 table is for employees profile (tblprofile). Where EmployeeID is the primary key. 2nd table is activity table (tblactivity) which records the date and shift1 2 or 3 or rest days of the employee. They are linked by employeeID. 3rd table is a training table which records the training which employees took. Also linked to the 1st by employee. Both r/s are 1 is to many.

However, I m not sure is this the optimal or is there a better way to create a r/s so that I can find out who is what shift on a particular date. Must be able to show the 2 employees particulars in a form. I m not so sure about query and filter functions also. Pls help. Thanks!!!

Regards
Jerry

Hello,

Your layout looks good to me. For displaying the relevant scheduling data, I would use an INNER JOIN statement. Something to the effect of:

SELECT tblProfile.EmployeeID, tblProfile.EmpName, tblActivity.Date, tblActivity.Shift, tblTraining.Training
FROM tblProfile INNER JOIN tblActivity ON
tblProfile.EmployeeID = tblActivity.EmployeeID
INNER JOIN tblTraining ON
tblProfile.EmployeeID = tblTraining.EmployeeID

I believe this query would get you each employees shifts and training. You can then throw in a where condition for the tblActivity.Date if you just wanted to see the data for a particular day.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Devon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back