Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stacking Windows Forms on Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ddraig

MIS
Jul 16, 2004
US
Howdy,

I am writing a news reader app, and would like it to alert me when one of the articles I've selected is updated.

I was thinking that I could have a windows form display when updated, but I wanted it to be for each individual article, each one has the same objects, and stack or dock ontop of each other.

For example if there are 3 different articles that have updated, it should display and stack on top of each alert but all the controls and things would be the same. So rather than duplicate it multiple times I was thinking about inhertiance and classes but not good at those yet.

I guess my question right now is, how would I make the same form stackup or dock on top of one another? Was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of an article or anything?

Thanks,
Dd.

I'm not sure that would work for what I want it to do. Perhaps if you could explain what you were thinking I might have a better idea of what you mean. :)

Just a single predesigned Child form. In an MDI app you can have any number of the same Child form each treated as a separate form therefore each containing different data.

Yea that makes sense to me now and basically what I'm after. Having not worked with them before do you have any links on how I might do this?

Just looking at MDI stuff on the net and not sure it will actually work as the app really just sits in the lower right hand corner. Taskbar Image Icon and then displays alerts when XML data is recieved. Popping up a small window when it reads a new message displaying the title and the description and valid link if necessary. Of course I have another interface to read and add various XML feeds but don't think MDI is going to work.

The MDI form would be the container for your complete detail. You can still display small popup forms above the taskbar.

Alright I guess I'll try and through a test app together to get a better idea of how it works.

Sweet, I think I got it working alright. I think its VB 6 code but here is what I used to test it. Although even with the Layout set, it cascades? Am I missing something?

Public Documents() As Form2
'Number of created documents
Public DocCount As Integer

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
DocCount% = DocCount% + 1
Dim Documents(DocCount%) As Form2
Documents(DocCount%) = New Form2
Documents(DocCount%).Text = "Document " & DocCount% & "Words go here"
Documents(DocCount%).Tag = DocCount%
Documents(DocCount%).LayoutMdi(MdiLayout.TileVertical)
Documents(DocCount%).Show()

End Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back