Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stacking Error On Summit x250-e

Status
Not open for further replies.

keegster

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2011
GB
Hi All,

I have run the command "unconfigure switch all" on both my x250e switches, a stacking cable is connected correctly and both admin users have the same credentials.

However, when I run the command "configure stacking easy-setup" it goes through the normal questions then immediately says:

"Error: Could not configure easy-setup for node xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" obviously this is the MAC of the secondary node.

Have I missed something? I have also tried to run the easy setup from the other node, I just get the same message but with alternate MAC address.

Thanks

K

Have you connected the stacking ports correctly? Port 1 on one switch should go to port 2 on the other. You mention 'a stacking cable'; do you only have one stacking cable connected? You should really have two cables connected, so the switches are in a ring, but it should still work with only one cable.

Do the link lights for the stacking ports come up? These should light even without stacking enabled if the cables are connected correctly. There are lights on both the front and rear of the switch.

We are running 12.4.2.17 and there seems to be a problem in that version; at least we never had the problem before we upgraded to that version. Just occasionally some of the stacking link lights on switches will go out, though the links are still functioning correctly. I've had this happen on three stacks, with x250e-48p and x450a-24t switches and the only way to get them back seems to be to re-boot the switches. If you are running this version and not seeing the link lights it might be worth re-booting your switches, to check whether there really is no link there.

Do both switches load the XOS from the same partition? You will have problems when you try to upgrade if they don't.

If you enter the command 'show stacking' do both switches show up in the stack topology?

Do both switches have the same licence level, edge or enhanced edge for x250e?

If that all seems ok, there are five commands which should have the same effect as the easy-setup:

Enable stacking

Configure stacking slot-number automatic

Configure stacking mac-address

Configure stacking redundancy minimal

Reboot stack-topology

You could try entering these five commands separately, and see which one causes an error; that might help point to the cause.

If nothing that dphoneguy24 or myself have suggested helps send us the output from 'show stacking', 'show stacking configuration' and 'show switch'; there may be something there that we can pick up.

Stephen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back