Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stacked Line Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbradeen

Programmer
Apr 25, 2005
US
I am working with Crystal XI, and trying to create a stacked line chart. I have a categories (chart lines), number of changed items for the categories (vertical axis), and change dates for the items (horizontal axis). The chart should show the number of items changed for the top 5 categories (most items changed) by "for each week" of the change dates. Sounds so simple, but I can't seem to make it so.

Using a group chart with "top-5" category and "for each week" date groups, depending on group order gives me too many caterories (top 5 for each week, not the whole report) or multiple sets of week dates (one set for each category). And plotted data appears to be a combination of item count summaries for both group levels.

Using an advanced chart I tried "On change of" change dates and category, and "Show value" the sum of changed items. I get a single set of weeks, and only 5 categories, but the sum of items are way off. I think there needs to be a group for item counts in the report somewhere.

Any advice on creating a chart such as this?

Thanks,
Susan

This is something I need to know too. I've been trying to do a trend chart showing the top 10 departments that show overtime each week so we can see if the same department keeps showing up with overtime. I have my report actually in EXCEL but not sure how to create a chart off it.

I may have figured out my problem. In reference to your data, try creating a line chart (*not* a stacked line chart) in the report header section with Data as:
Advanced layout
On change of: work date (Order ... "for each week"), department (TopN ... based on 'sum of overtime', N is '10', do not include others)
Show value: sum of overtime

Hopefully that should get you close to what you need.

And if I have this correct, a report with something like:
group1 = department
group2 = work date, Options ... "for each week"
summary for group2 = sum of overtime.
group sort on department group with Top '10' based on 'sum of overtime', and no 'others'.

should show you the data the chart will display.

Hope that helps,
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back