Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSRS trouble with simple table and group by functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLsunday

Technical User
Aug 20, 2014
US
am new to SSRS and need to build a simple table that shows the following desired result
division_name sent_leads referrals
East 20 5
West 15 3
North 45 10
South 36 11

The dataset it's based on brings in the following values:
org_name
, division_name
, count(sent_leads)
, count(referrals)
, year
, month

notice that it's got a month column. I need that month column for other charts on the same report but not for the particular one that I'm having trouble with.
When I attempt to get desired result in SSRS, the division names are getting repeated, for as many distinct months worth of data that I have in the dataset, even though I'm not pulling in the month as a column
division_name sent_leads referrals
East 56 2
East 46
East 20 5
West
West
West 15 3
North
North
North 45 10
South
South
South 36 11

In design view I use a table item, I have division name as parent group and sent_leads and referrals are Summed. It's pretty straight forward, but the sent_leads are getting broken down by however many distinct months are in the dataset.

How can I get true grouping by division?

Couple of ideas:
1. try sticking the year and month in the group by section of the report
2. try just building another dataset that has things grouped the way you want.. assuming the query is not a very resource intensive query, tha tis.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back