Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ssrs 2012 combned parameter

Status
Not open for further replies.

scampercat

Programmer
Nov 10, 2012
US
In an existing SSRS 2008 R2 dashboard application, I need to pass the same 5 parameter values between the existing 48 to 62 sub reports that can be called. I am trying to determine the best way to accomplish this goal.

Listed below are the options I am thinking about:

1. Cascading parameters would not work because all 5 parameter values are not sub values.
2. I could pass the 5 parameter values individually to each sub report; however I am thinking there should be an easier option. There would be a high chance of maintenance problems due to the ability of each sub report being able to call each other and the number of parameters that can be passed.
3. I am thinking that I could pass all 5 parameter values together as 1 combined parameter.
When I was actually accessing each of the 5 parameter values in each applicable sub report, I would use a 'mid' function call to parse out the 5 values I need. Would this option work?
If so how would you setup the code? Would I use some kind of 'custom function'? If so how would you setup the code for the 'custom function'?

Do you have any other ideas on how I could accomplish my goal? If so, can you tell me what you are thinking of and show me some code or point me to a URL that will accomplish this goal?

Not sure how you are setting it up but you could insert them into a temp table.

Simi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back