Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSMS loaded on work computer but no named instances available locally

Status
Not open for further replies.

waubain

Technical User
Dec 13, 2011
US
I am an end-user(no admin privileges). Our IT department loaded SSMS 2012 on my work computer. I can connect the our network server with read-only status. I was now given multiple large text files to link together and query an output. I could do this in MS Access, but I would prefer to use SSMS, but since I cannot build tables on our network computer, I was trying to use my computer and SSMS.

When I checked SSMS Configuration Tool on my computer the screen states "There are no items to show in this view" under SQL Server Services. I can see all the program and files loaded on my computer but there seems to be nothing which to connect. I have the Developers Edition loaded on my home computer and I can see my server name and instance using the same process.

I am trying to understand this better and what would our IT department have to do to solve this. Can they just create a new named instance on my computer?

Thank you in advance and I apologize if this is the wrong forum or I am using incorrect nomenclature.

You don't know what you don't know...

Did you install just SSMS or SQL Server on your local machine? If you need to connect to the network version of SQL Server you will need to have permissions to do that.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

As DJJ mentioned, there is a difference between the management studio (that you apparently have installed on your work computer) and the database engine itself. It sounds like you don't have the database engine installed.

You could ask your IT department to install the SQL Server database engine on your computer. Depending on the edition they have (standard, enterprise, etc....) you will likely run in to licensing costs.

If you just need to knock around some data you could install SQL Server Express on your local computer. If you choose to install SQL Express (which is free but has a 10 gigabyte database limit), you should probably match the version that is installed on your server (if only for consistency reasons).

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Thank you both for your responses and you both were correct. After multiple transfers, I was told that the Database Engine is intentionally not installed. No local databases allowed. Also third party software is not allowed to be installed (SQL Server Express). I will have to use Access to complete this task.

Thank you again for your responses.

You don't know what you don't know...

Note that Access and SQL Server Express are both Microsoft products but I assume they mean no additional software as Access comes with a version of the office suite.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Correct thing then would be for you to be given full access to a database in one of your development servers.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back