Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSMS 2014 bug not freshing to see new changes made to tables or otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
this is from the Help About
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 12.0.2269.0
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 12.0.2000.8
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 6.3.9600.17415
Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.9600.18283
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
Operating System 6.3.9600
---------
I had a table called Mydata which had 1 column [Name]. since it had data I renamed it to Mydata-old.
I recreated a new table called Mydata with [Name], [RecordID] and [DateCreated].
then I pressed F5 to see the new table in the Object Explorer. it shows up with the new fields. next I right clicked the new Mydata table and choose 'Script Table as' > 'Insert to' > 'New Query Editor Window'
However I does not have the new columns, it just had the original column {name] and does not have [RecordID] and [DateCreated].
Is there a way to refresh the Object Explorer or whatever is the problem without having to completely close SSMS and then reopen it? making changes to items and then hacing to close SSMS each time is major drawback.
this happens with intelli-sense as well. it does not see the new changes either. if a table has a new column it puts red squiggly saying invalid column it does however run Ok. but having a smart IDE is no good if it can't see new things without a reload.

TIA

DougP

FYI [RecordID] is a Primary key and does not show when I choose 'Script Table as' > 'Insert to' > 'New Query Editor Window'
Since you cannot insert new data from and old table into the recordID column, is that why it does not show?

DougP

When you select 'Script Table as' > 'Create to' > 'New Query Editor Window', does it show the ID field? If so, it's reasonable to assume that SSMS knows enough not to include a primary key field in an INSERT statement.

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back