Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSL what should I use, and where can I find it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuggerFanta

Technical User
Apr 22, 2002
SE
Hello group!
I´m trying to find out what kind of SSL I shold use to my Apache(1.3.23), MySQL(3.23.48) and PHP(4.1.1).

Where do I find the best working SSL???
How do I install it on my computer (Win98/Apache 1.3.23)???
Where can I find infor about how to realy use it???

Please help me, I new to server administration and doing it for my personal development in the area. But just cant understan this!!! --------------------------------------
Kind regards;
HuggerFanta

It's not so much a question of the best SSL, but rather a question of how SSL is implemented. This is because most SSL implementations use OpenSSL as their encryption bases.

Classically, Apache has two major systems for implementing SSL: Apache-SSL and mod_ssl. There may be others, but I'm not familiar with them.

Apache-SSL ( is a verion of Apache that is patched to support SSL organically.

mod_ssl ( is an Apache runtime loadable module which provides SSL functionality. It is bundled with the Apache source tarball.

My personal preference is mod_ssl, mostly because when I first started experimenting with SSL, I found it easier to get going. So I've continued to use it. ______________________________________________________________________
TANSTAAFL!

I addition to the previous post most books for apache recommend using mod_ssl over apache-ssl stating that apache-ssl is some what out dated. Whether that is true or not I cannot say, but I myself follow there advice and use mod_ssl.

Hope this helps

Page 313, 314 of Apache Administrator's Handbook by Rich Bowen Published by SAMS will give you instructions on how to implement SSL. cws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back