Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSL WebRequest

Status
Not open for further replies.

HouDog

Programmer
Aug 14, 2003
CA
Hi All,

I have a little client utility that runs in the background and gathers sales data on a client machine and sends it to our web-site via the message body of a http request (webrequest) and setting the Method="POST". The problem is that the data is very sensitive (credit card#s, etc). My question is this...Is SSL the way to go here ? Are there other ways for me to secure my data for transmission?

This whole process does not involve any user interaction so will there be any annoying pop-up windows appearing telling me that I am entering a secure site ?

Also, we have a primary web site and a backup web site, both coming into 2 separate ISA servers which then route the requests into 1 IIS server. Does this mean that I need 2 SSL certificates ? And what kind of SSL certificate do I need? Will a Web Server Certificate do ?

Thanks in advance.

JH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back