Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSL Certificate Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostyk

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2009
US
In the past I've always used openssl to generate self signed certificates for my apache servers. I get a .key and .cert public and private key files. I was just issued a new certificate to replace the self signed one I was using and it came in the form of a single .pfx file. After googling I found that this was a windows certificate file type. I converted it to a .pem file using open ssl, but it's still only one file with both the public and private key in one file.

How do I convert this .pem to the files that apache needs?
Do I just copy and paste out the two sections into a key and cert file?
Is there a way to use open ssl to convert this .pem into a key and cert file?

Thanks guyss.

Nice article which states how to export the certificate from Windows platform to Linux box

================================================================
A]
Linux apache convert .pfx certificate files to openssl
Copy the .pfx file to the apache webserver or a linux server which has openssl installed.

To convert the .pfx file for the domain foo.bar to a file that your Apache server will understand run the following openssl commands

1. To export the Private key file from the .pfx file
openssl pkcs12 -in foo.bar.pfx -nocerts -out foo.bar.key

2. To export the Certificate file from the .pfx file
openssl pkcs12 -in foo.bar.pfx -clcerts -nokeys -out foo.bar.crt

Courtesy: ================================================================

B]

Open the pem file in a text editor and copy the private key and certificate to different files. Remember to keep the dashed lines intact when you copy the certificates - this is important. There is some additional text above the key, and also between the key and certificate - this text should be ignored and should not be included in the certificate and key files.

================================================================

C]
Another nice update from Novell site

With Regards
Anirudha Patil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back