Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSL certificate correct or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

nstefi1

Technical User
Oct 3, 2008
CA
Hi everyone,

We recently installed an SSL certificate in the server for a website and currently when I go the the webpage and click on the lock sign, in IE7 it shows this message:
Website Identification
UTN - USERFirst-Hardware has identified this site as:
... domain name ...
This connection to the server is encrypted.

When I click on View certificates and Details tab, the "Key Usage" and "Basic Constraints" have an exclamation mark each.

I compared with the SSL certificate from a bank, which shows:
Website Identification
VeriSign/RSA Secure Server CA has identified this site as:
... name of the bank.com ...
This connection to the server is encrypted.

When I check view certificates, the "Key Usage" and "Basic Constraints" have a green arrow down sign on them.

I told my concern to our managers and to another IT guy, but he said don't worry about it as long as the lock is there, the site is secure.
Is it true that I don't need to worry about it?
When I open MMC, where should I see the website's certificate, under Certificates snap-in for "My User", "Service" or "Computer" account?
Did I make a mistake when I installed it or maybe the certificate file which I bought was wrong?
Can somebody tell me how to install the certificate correctly?

Thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back