Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSL and certificates 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekquest

Vendor
Feb 1, 2003
AU
Hi all,

Recently I have setup outlook web access and I would like to be able to access it outside the exchange site its installed in.

I want to use SSL, possibly port 443.

I have been trying to generate key's and certificates in IIS, (using version 4.0). Does anyone know how to generate a certificate or does it need to be purchased from a company like verisign??

Any info would be much appreciated, thanks for looking.

Luke.

Hi Epohl,

That appears to be for Windows 2000, IIS 5.0 with Certificate server.

I am using IIS4.0 running on Winnt 4.0, do I need to purchase a server SSL certificate from Verisign? I am unsure.

Thanks,

Luke

Sorry about that, next time I should read a little closer. If this is going to be a site that is accessable via the internet I would recommend buying a certificate from Verisign or another Authorized Vendor.

Hi Epohl,

Thanks for your reply, its my fault, I never mentioned it was an NT4 server!!!

Luke

Certificated issuded by known Certificate authorities worldwide are added in IE by default so the users who connects to a secure site would not get an error message ever, but if you had the Win2000 and you generate your cert yourself, since no IE by default knows your cert server so users get a message, to resolve you should install your server Cert on all the clients IE.

look at this ev1servers.net, they provide Geotrust certs for a small amount of money. first generate your CSR (certificate signing request) in your IIS, then go to site and fill the order form, attention: do not open your CSR in any editor except notepad after you generate it. you should copy/paste this key in the order form
hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back