Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSIS in SQL Server 2022

grnzbra

Programmer
Mar 12, 2002
US
I've got SQL Server 2022 and am trying to learn SSIS to go with it. However, I can't find any books for SSIS 2022 nor any YouTube videos. When I try to use an old SSIS 2005 book, tries to lead me through SQL Server Data Tools, which don't seem to exist in SQL Server 2022. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I need to import or turn on in 2022? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

first off if you are learning from scratch you would probably be better off learning some other ETL tool, both from MS or third party - SSIS it not a tool I would be keen to use going forward.

with regards to SQL Server itself - SSDT was never truly part of SQL Server - but rather it is a separate install - while long ago it was installed as part of SSDT, it has been the case some versions ago that this is a separate install to Visual Studio - you still should install SSDT (for the database associated tools), but for SSIS you need to install the "SQL Server Integration Services Projects" for the particular version of VS you have (and also taking in consideration the SQL Server version you are targeting.

see this one for VS2022 -

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thank you for the clarification.
You say you wouldn't be keen to use SSIS going forward. Is this due to difficulty or is there something wrong with SSIS or other better items out there?

SSIS is complex, very very picky with certain things, in many cases you need to use C# within SSIS to properly accomplish things, and most importantly it mostly for on-prem and requires a licensed SQL Server instance.

better tools out there now than SSIS - even if not as easy, many of them are more versatile and have cloud options better than SSIS within ADF - for this matter in a way even ADF can be better than SSIS.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Unfortunately, most of the Database Developer jobs out there seem to require SSIS.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back