Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSI menu.inc File Offline Viewing Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinderellie

Technical User
Oct 28, 2002
US
I am trying to set up a site navigation menu using the following code on all of my pages. The web pages using this code are .shtml files.

<!--#include virtual="menu2.inc"-->

I am not able to see the results while viewing my files offline, but I can see them when uploaded to my web host.

Is this normal, or is there a way to see the coding results while working offline?

I am including the URL to a page with this coding.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you're "viewing them offline" by just clicking on the .shtml files in explorer then no, you won't see the SSIs on your page. Including the SSIs is a function of the web server, and there's no web server involved if you do it like that.

If you configure a web server to serve up pages locally to yourself you should be able to get it to do the SSI stuff for you, but personally I don't think it's worth the bother.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back