Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sshd dead but pidfile exitst?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfvogue

Technical User
Jul 23, 2001
NL
Hi,

i just started with linux. I run redhat 9. i have a router connected to my adsl modem and my pc, laptop and linuxbox all have access to the internet. That works fine. Samba works fine too on my linuxbox, as i can exchange files without a problem. Also, apache webserver is running allright and i can access the default index.html on the linuxbox with my laptop.

The prob is: how do i get SSH to work? When i try to ssh from my laptop (using putty) i get an error: "connection failure"

i used to be ale to ssh to my linuxbox when i didn't have the router yet and had linuxbox configured as a dhcpserver itself.

when i check the sshd status (with the graphic interface) it says "sshd dead, but pid file exists".
when i try to stop it it gives an error too.

hope someone can help me out.
i'm just not enough into linux yet.

tnx!
cfvogue

Is SSH running right now at all? Run "ps -ef | grep ssh" to find out. If its running, kill the processes and then search for its pid if one exists. If you find the sshd.pid file, delete it. Mine is /var/run/sshd.pid. If you need help locating the pid file, run "updatedb && locate pid | grep ssh". After you delete the pid file, you should be able to start the service back up.

ChrisP

Hi fluid11,

tnx a lot for your reply.
I did what you told me, but it won't let me remove sshd.pid in /var/run
Even when i try to chmod the file as su it says operation permitted. Is there a way to force it?

tnx again

Make sure that SSH isn't running and then run "rm -f /var/run/sshd.pid" as root. If that doesn't work, then try...

chattr -i /var/run/sshd.pid
rm -f /var/run/sshd.pid

Make sure your logged in as root when you do this.

ChrisP

Thanx a lot fluid11,

That did the job. It works fine now!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back