Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ssh, ftp, telnet etc. not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddyl

Technical User
Sep 26, 2005
US
Hi,

I am trying to connect to various servers in the office via ssh, ftp, telnet (I know) etc. but I cannot do so. I keep getting errors saying that I cannot connect to the server. If I ping the server it is replying. Everyone in the office appear to have the same problem. There is even a windows machine that I can use samba to connect onto but cannot ftp or telnet to. Anyone any ideas what is going on and how do I fix this issue?

Thanks,

Tom

More info & clarification required.... What os is running on the 'host' machine? Are the services that you're trying to connect to actually running? What hardware & software is between the client & host?

Steve

My first guess would be: firewalls. Check if there are any firewalls between you and the servers in question. Check to see if software firewalls are enabled on the servers and update the firewall policy as required.

Ok, issue resolved.

There was a power outage last night and for some reason the IT guy did not have all servers plugged into the UPS system. When the servers died suddenly and then restarted they were in an inconsistent state. We had to shut them down and start them up again before they came back to normal.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry, spoke too soon.

I have a SunFire V240 which I can now ping but cannot ftp, rlogin, ssh or telnet into. I've tried shutting it down and restarting it but I get the same situation.

It does not have a terminal connected to it so I cannot log in and modify/change anything.

Any ideas on how I can connect to this box or get access to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back