Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ssh connections freeze on long displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgswong

MIS
Nov 27, 2000
US
Hi all,

I've currently got a few Linux servers up and running, all identical installations but for most of them remote connections via ssh freeze when running certain commands such as 'top' or 'll' ('ls -l', or 'ls') on large directories, vim on large files (> a few MB). Since there is ample RAM and CPU resources what is the trouble or how do I at least begin to troubleshoot this problem? On the server there is no problem so it's very frustrating since the Solaris servers on the same network segment give no problems which would seem to clear network issues.

Any help is really appreciated as the project manager is really coming down hard on me to fix this for rollout within this week.

Thanks much.

Snr Unix System Admin/DBA
Digicel Jamaica (

Use 'strace' to see what system calls it's hanging on. That should give you some better indication if it's disk or network related.

Check your speed/duplex settings on your network adapter and make sure they're set the same as the switch.

One of the first things I do after building a server is check for the same problems you are experiencing. I just do a "ls -laR /". If it hangs after a second or two, it's a speed/duplex problem. Happens all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back