Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSH access

Status
Not open for further replies.

pabx1121

Programmer
Oct 16, 2013
IE
Hi Folks thanks for all your help so far....so after some investigating with ssh in my BCM50 6.0 the SSH service now seems stopped with the message coming back as connection refused. I have saw another thread about this somewhere before too. In the service manager section the sshd service will not restart saying "this service has failed to restart". Tried to do a level 1 / 2 after backup but unfortunately again ssh is required beyond 5.0 to complete resets. Any suggestions why sshd may not restart. I was trying to amend access in the sshd to allow root logins so maybe thats connected

cheers again folks

I recall a couple times where restore did not work when something stopped working.
It was as if the restore from a backup did not completely wipe out all.

Doing a restore from Factory Default then doing another restore from a backup helped.

Process:
Go to Backup&Restore, choose Restore, chooseRestore from: "Factory Default" , uncheck all but Data/Network then proceed.
Test SSH

If it works and you have a backup then proceed to restore from a backup, again uncheck all but Data/Network then proceed.
Test SSH

If the issue returns then the backup is glitched.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

thanks folks - a restore to factory set didn't have any effect. sshd service as attached still unable to be restarted. So maybe a drive re image is only option. Patches are at 021.201402 but don't have PLDS access yet so can't upgrade.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0d7a31f4-eff7-4adf-9b7c-d1e64e8162aa&file=bcmserman.jpg
My guess is you changed the sshd configuration file and the service now refuses to start with this configuration. Reimaging the drive should obviously work.

Another approach might be to remove the drive from the BCM, attach it to a SATA port on another Linux system, mount the correct partition and copy a good sshd configuration file (from another BCM50 system) to the ssh directory. If you have another Linux system that you could use this way, I could take a look at my BCM50 to get specific details (the partition and directory).

Cheers Curly

I did attempt to amend the sshd file to allow access but unfortunately the permission issue didn't allow modification. Or is this as part of the re imaging process. Sent my R6 to you via email

Thanks also UCXguy. would the process you mention work if I attached the drive to a SATA cable connected to a PC. Would't have another Linux system apart from BCMs

cheers

Ubuntu APP for Windows 10 might help.

Or "VirtualBox" with a Linux OS loaded onto it.

All 3 free

Also free is the Ubuntu software (and others)
If you have a spare PC your good to go.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks folks. Hoping to get back to it again this weekend. Thanks for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back