Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSD upgrade in Laptop. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wishforall

Programmer
Aug 1, 2014
GB
Hello everyone,

I have recently upgraded my laptop Samsung SSD evo 850 120GB to an Samsung SSD evo 850 250GB. When i have the 120GB SSD installed the laptop would boot from being fully off the when its ready to login in about 20 seconds. Since i have upgraded the laptop now takes around 2 - 3 minutes to boot. Can anyone explain this please?

Kind regards,
Wishforall

Doesn't seem right at all!!! How did you do the upgrade - Samsung Data Migration software? I've done that many times always with great results. Have you installed/ran Samsung Magician to make sure the new drive is GENUINE, running at SATA 3 and BIOS is set to AHCI???

Run the Magician with the old drive installed and compare benchmark results.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Forgot to mention FIRMWARE version in Samsung Magician.

Hi Goombawaho,

The laptop was taken away from me by work with all the documents backed up on to a SD. The laptop came back to me with all the software i need to do my job. So it was basically a clean laptop. When it was gone it also got a full refurbish to make it look nice again as it is used daily and gets a lot of abuse. All the documents are still on the SD card I just browse to it when they are needed to keep the SSD space free. Yes I have ran Samsung magician a few days ago as i used this frequently on the old SSD to make sure it was running correctly and the S/W was up to date.

Regard,
Wishforall.

Well - if this is a company laptop, you need to complain to them not troubleshoot it yourself. If it was a full reload then all kinds of things could happen. Was it the same operating system or an upgrade? Are you sure you got the same machine back?

I understand what you are saying about giving it back for them to look at, but at this present moment it is still a lot better than the temporary laptop I was using. Operating system is the same Windows 7 Pro because anything newer will not allow me access to some telephone PBX's. Any suggestions on what I could try to improve boot up speed? Once laptop is booted it is as fast as always.

Thanks,
Wishforall

Where does it spend the most time - Windows booting, or the black screen(s) before Windows? If Windows, then check:
[ul][li]Startup items[/li]
[li]Possible Driver Issues - missing/messed up drivers - basically just look quickly at device manager, and see if anything has an exclamation mark or any other obvious problem looking icon.[/li][/ul]

If it's slowing down mostly at the black screen area, then it could be they changed something in the BIOS incorrectly, or you know, maybe possibly, the new drive has a problem.

Either way, if it's that bad, you really do need to work with your company IT to get it resolved. If the drive needs be replaced, the sooner the better for warranty support, for instance.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I'm SURE their IT support would NOT want the machine "owner" to be soliciting responses on the internet on how to monkey with a company-owned laptop, followed by tinkering and manipulation of startup items, etc.

But I agree with the OP in that there should be very little difference in startup time given the same brand of SSD and same laptop (assuming that). It's really hard to slow down a computer with an SSD from loading like a rocket regardless of startup items. There's something deeper at work here.

Okay guys thanks for all the help! A nice purple star has been left with you both. I will take it back to the office in the morning and show them what is wrong.

Thanks again!

If they're too busy to help or pat you on the head and say "live with it" then come back.

LOL - Great advice, goombawaho!

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Hello Guys!

Today I was working in the office setting up a telephone system for a site install next week. My MD came over and asked if everything is okay and if I am having any problems. So i mentioned how my laptop was booting up very, very slow after my SSD upgrade. At this point he called one of the IT guys over who has been doing the SSD upgrades for the engineers and asked 'how long should his laptop should take to boot up from being turned off' the IT guy said 20 - 30 seconds. The iPhone stop watch came out and we turned the laptop on. About 30 seconds later it was still on the Toshiba screen. 2 minutes 12 seconds later I was finally prompted with windows fingerprint screen.

Instantly he blamed me for downloading/installing rubbish onto the laptop that of course he checked and could only find all the documents on the SD card and the programs i requested to be installed to do my job. At this point another engineer walked into the office and my MD asked how his laptop is since the SSD upgrade to what he said very slow at booting up. Again the iPhone stop watch came out and the time was roughly the same (All the engineer laptop are exactly same same model).

The IT guy now went and got my old 128GB SSD that was labeled up with what laptop it came out of and quickly put it back in. The iPhone stop watch came back out and 20 seconds later i was asked for a fingerprint (The old SSD has less than 500MB of storage left on it. There is now a very, very upset IT guy in the office who has to get each laptop back from all the engineers one by one and make sure they all boot up within 30 seconds of pressing the power on key. Looks like i'm back to the spare laptop for now but at least the problem is getting resolved. When I get the laptop back I will ask what he did to resolve the problem and post it in here.

Thanks again guys!
Wishforall.

Glad they didn't get away with patting you on the head. Would like to know WHY as this seems unusual. SSDs just work to speed things up. Never seen them boot slowly!!!

Asking myself would not of gotten me very far, but what the MD says needs to happen unfortunately for them.

Thanks again for the help, I will try and find out from them when I get it back and keep you updated!

What is "MD" anyway? Managing Director?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back