Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSA, Microcode, Rootvg 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbourne2006

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2006
GB
Folks

I have a 7026-H80 with rootvg residing on a pair of "system" SSA disks, one on "A" loop the other on "B". LVM mirroring protects rootvg against disk failure. It is necessary for me to upgrade the microcode on the SSA adapter, and on one of the disks in the rootvg.

I can't see anything in the H80 User Guide, and the SSA docs I've found aren't any help either.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Matthew Bourne
"Find a job you love and never do a day's work in your life.

... I ain't getting in no plane ...

Thanks Mad. Unfortunately, the SSA adapter listed on that page does not present any means of downloading the necessaries.

This link is the one I've been using for all things SSA:
<
It clearly instructs us to ensure that no I/O is occurring during updates, but, since cfgmgr will be creating I/O on the rootvg disks (and therefore the SSA adapter) I'm assuming I need a modified procedure.

I really appreciate your help. If you think of anything else, please do share.

Where's my milk ?

Kind Regards,
Matthew Bourne

OK, I've read the article and what is meant is not to start databases for example. The normal OS -I/O is all right. Just start the machine new and comment all start-procedures in /etc/inittab from your applications as if this would be a brand new installed machine.

Then update the adapter microcode as described in the article followed by the disks via ssadload

Have fun. I've done it a few times and it is safe

hth
mad

Advanced Interactive eXecutable

Great - thanks Mad.

A Star for you :)

BTW - I quite agree with the fun thing. If we're not having fun, we're in the wrong job!

Cheerio

Matthew

Did it work?

I'd like to know updating disk and adapter microcode on live rootvg adapters / disks works before I try.

Madmurdock did not confirm he has done this on an SSA rootvg without problems...

Nope, not done it yet - hopefully next week sometime

Kind Regards,
Matthew Bourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back