Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SS II 3000FX Loses AppleTalk on 1 Port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

250LWB

MIS
Jun 27, 2002
US
I have 2 - 3000FX fiber switches that are the core of my LAN. 98% of my workstations are Macs, with 2 servers being PCs - 1 - Win2k and 1 - NT 4.0.

Monday I had a complaint from one of our buildings that they could not access the network with their iMacs. I had link lights at both ends of the run between the 3000FX and the local switch (SS II 1000). I noticed I had no activity lights on the fiber module at the 1000 or at the port on the 3000FX. I moved the link to another port and all was well.

Yesterday I had a chance to investigate more fully. I found that any connections through the "bad" port on the 3000FX would allow me to see Windows (TCP/IP) devices but nothing on AppleTalk.

What's weird is that this port is set up no differently than any other on the same switch. No matter what I connect to it it will not "allow" AppleTalk devices to communicate.

(And no, Spanning Tree is not turned on.)

Nothing has changed or been modified on the LAN - this was a random event.

????

Dan Penoff
Technology Resource
Hillsborough County School District

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back