Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SS 3.7: Why it takes a long time to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnguyen

Programmer
May 30, 2001
CA
We've just moved from 2.5.6 to 3.7. The very first thing we notice is that it takes several minutes (~6-10min) to add a database or to start up the server.

Our application database is Oracle8i/Net8 and the object database is ASA6 (development). The SS server and ASA6 run on a Dell XPS B933 with 256M RAM and NT4/SP6. Oracle runs on a Sun Ultra box.

SilverStream 2.5.6 on the exact same configuration starts up 6 times quicker. What makes 3.7 so slow? Anybody experienced similar problem?

TIA
Linh Nguyen

Hi,

start your server with the -nodbcheck option. Normally, it would be quicker. When you add an oracle database with the 3.7, an entire reverse of the tables is made. The 3.7 reverse all the tables of all the schema that are present in your oracle instance. It's why it's so low when you add a database. On starting, sssw check if its reverse is not unsynchronized, so if the number of tables is important, it will take lot of time.

the solution is to make a table filter when you add a database.

tell me if this helps you.

Tschuss.

Yes, that's it.

I also found that switching to Oracle thin driver would cut the time to add a database in half !!

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back