Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.srd files and tables in a powerbuilder app - need pointers please 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrislarkin

Programmer
Jun 5, 2001
Hi everyone,

I have a SQL Server and Crystal Reports client that I have been developing RPTs and SQL code on a regular basis over the last several years. Today they asked me if I could integrate reports directly into their legacy PowerBuilder app (they didn't know it was PB, I just recognized the UI elements and looked into a database that contained the report tables).

My questions:

1. Is there an easy way to determine what version of PB this system was developed using? I'm thinking Dependency Walker, but I don't have the EXEs with me (this is a tomorrow task).
2. Are there alternative tools to construct reports (using data windows/.srd files) for PB apps? If not, in your expert PB minds do you think it would be a significant learning curve for someone with over a decade experience in writing SQL (and building related apps in VB/C++/C# and Crystal) to pick up?

Thanks in advance for reading my post - *PLEASE* let me know if this is an inappropriate use of the forums. It's been a while since I've chimed in on any threads but I remembered that tek-tips is probably the best online tool for challenging problems!

For versioning, check in the folder that contains the application for the application run time dlls. They will have the names in the format of name###.dll where '###' will be the PB version (125 for 12.5, 105 for 10.5, etc).

Learning how to modify datawindows and create new datawindows for reports is very easy, especially with your given background. You can do a 'save as' from an existing report to create a new one to experiment/learn on without changing the original.

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time"

Thank you Matt - I've determined that I'm working with (gasp) PowerBuilder 6 files and the bulk of the reports are .srd (?) files compiled into pbd files.

Looks like this is going to be an adventure, but at least I get the pleasure of learning something new! Now I need to dig into any resources for .srd files of that era. FUN!

Thanks again -
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back