Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SRAM Memory providing a challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbox

Instructor
Dec 2, 1999
AU
A friend of mine purchased 16mb of SRAM, put it in his Pentium 133, and it reports as 8mb. In another PC it reports correctly as 16mb. He tried EDO RAM, but the PC wouldn't even start. Why is the memory halved?<br>

Unfortunately, he can't tell me the brand/model of the motherboard. Is it perhaps that he requires RAM with parity?<br>

Or is it that the RAM is rated for 3.3volt systems and his system is 5volts (or vice versa)? I would appreciate any assistance.

By SRAM do you mean <i>SyncRAM</i> or <i>SimmRAM</i>? This makes a <i>BIG</i> difference. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

The clocking of the RAM may be incorrect for the chips (sometimes adjustable in CMOS) or<br>
the board may require sets of (2) to be addressed properly.<br>
<A HREF="mailto:GoTech@GoTechnologiesInc.com">GoTech@GoTechnologiesInc.com</A>

One thing that happens with an older motherboard I have -- there are 3 sets of slots on my motherboard and the middle slots only recognize one side of the RAM (meaning it will only see half the RAM), don't ask me how or why, I have wondered myself....... Then again, 16 MB sticks are only one sided...<br>
<br>
Do you have (2) 16 MB sticks or a TOTAL of 16 MBs... If you have (2) 8 MB sticks than this would make sense, if not, then just ignore this....<br>
<br>
As for not seeing EDO, there are some older motherboards that do not recognize EDO RAM - I have usually only seen with 486 and before motherboards. I have not seen this with Pentium boards, but it could be possible. Really the best thing to do is find out what kind of motherboard it is and make sure it supports EDO, that's the only sure way of checking.<br>
<br>
And as DaveGoTech mentioned, the sticks need to be the same speed, type, size, etc - identical sticks in order to work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back