Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

squirrel classic-how to add 4th req printer? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anabrew

Technical User
Jul 29, 2003
US
i have an old classic squirrel system, v3.50.36 (NT). I am trying to add a fouth requisition printer to my system. currently "A" is the hot line, "C" is the pantry, "B" is both hot line and pantry, "H" is the bar. i would like to add pinter "D" which is the pizza line, and a printer "E" which is both hot line and the pizza line. i have an open spot on my v1.4.1 motherboard in my gray box and have the s-232 module, and "white" 5 wire plug. i am using beldin wire for communication.
thanks,
anabrew

It's been a long time. The rs-232 module would plug into the next available port. and the cable should be wired the same as the other printer cables. A regular 6 pin phone cable won't work b/c the ends have to be the same on each end. On a phone cable one end is reversed. You will need a crimp tool to make the connection. As far as the software, it's been years but I could find my way around if you have internet connection on the computer and do a goto meeting with me.

thanks for the response...i can communicate over a phone line with pc anywhere...thanks
anabrew
you can call me 206-819-3093

run dealer.exe in squirrel\data\tomorrow\
then add another printer.

Change printer names in squirrel hidden config - ctrl+page/down to access hidden config
then change the printer config under system = hardware = req-printers.

got the 4th req printer hooked up and edited the menu items so they print to the new printer...but all that prints is???????????????????? (a bunch of question marks)

ok, saw your other post. It sound like a communication issue with the printer. Check dip switches on the printer, wiring, the interface cable and printer adapter.

printer #4 is the printer giving all the ????'s
tried:
put printer #4 were printer #1 is, printer worked
switched rs 232 #4 with rs 232 #1, printer worked
swithed position of the white plug in the gray control box with #4 and #1, printer printed ?????'s
switched black printer wires with #1 and #4, printer worked

conclusion: communication wire from white terminal plug to the jack (or the jack) were the black printer wire attaches is mis-wired.
concur??
can you explain the wiring pattern to me???
thanks,
anabrew

You can't use a regular 6 pin phone cable, the connectors that are crimped on the ends are reversed on a phone cable, the printer interface cable for Squirrel are the same, the white wire is on the same side when you look thru the connector.
You will need a crimp tool and some sonnectors available a radio shack, they might do it for you.

In the 6 wire phone jack the printer wiring is the same for all printers. The terminals are crossed white to yellow.

in the converter panel(grey box) if I recall it think the wiring is

BK-RD-Ground-WH-GR

on the printer end jack 6 wire

RD-RD
BK-BK
WH-WH
GR-GR
Ground not used.

Terminals use
RD-RD
BK-BK
WH-YL