Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Squid and Windows Command Line FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashX1

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2001
US
We recently installed squid on a Red Hat 8.0 server. We have Windows 2000 clients connecting to the internet through it.

The problem is if someone opens up a command prompt and tries to ftp somewhere I get a Host Unreachable error. I can FTP through Internet Explorer just fine. I have read on several other forums Squid does not support this type of FTP Proxying from a DOS Prompt.

Does anyone know what specific package/application I can install to allow me to ftp through my proxy server from a command prompt in Windows?

Thanks,
Mike

If they can log in, but can't run any commands, then the ftp.exe command is probably using "active" FTP. Internet Explorer defaults to, or is smart enough to detect if "passive" mode is required.

After you connect with the command line ftp.exe, issue the command "quote pasv" and it should say "227 entering passive mode" and see if you can transfer files... You might also try a free ftp.exe replacement, like cygwin's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back