Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Square replace 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcoman44

IS-IT--Management
Dec 22, 2003
US
In excel I have an imported a report that produced square symbols. The problem is that they cannot be replaced trough Edit/Find/Replace. I think they might be some type of carriage returns from the other report. I cannot do a sort and delete rows becuase of the format of the data. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi,

Please copy and paste the symbol AS IS here.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]To be safe on the FOURTH, don't take a FIFTH on the THIRD, or...
You might not come FORTH on the FIFTH! [bomb][tongue][/sub]

SkipVought,

I even put the symbol in here and it does not show up. It is a small square with a black border. I wrote a macro that deletes all empty rows but it does not delete this row. There are over 2,000 rows with this symbol, but again I cannot sort because the data is in two rows.

Thanks,

Fred

Can you select that symbol if you edit the cell it's in (F2)? If so, you can probably copy it and paste it into the Find/replace dialog.

Sawedoff

Thanks, but it does not recognize the box. I can copy into a different cell but not inro find/replace.

PLEASE PASTE IT HERE.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]To be safe on the FOURTH, don't take a FIFTH on the THIRD, or...

copy the entire phrase including the character in question.

Skip,
[sub]

This may be too simple, but what font is used in the cell that contains the symbol? Maybe you can reformat the font, then use a find /replace to get rid of it.

Sawedoff

I put the character in to paste and hit preview and it automatically goes away. It is a single character in about 1000 rows column A.

If you copy and paste the cell, does the symbol paste into a new cell? If no, copy column A and paste it into a new column, then delete A. (again, this seems too easy.)

Sawedoff

I put the symbol in the Ascii and I got -1

marcoman44,
what this is, is an unprintable character. i was hoping we'd be able to if it's equivalent but no luck:
try this code in a macro make sure you are in a cell with the character:
Code:
dim test
test = acticell.value
msgbox(test)
does it give the same thing?
regards,
longhair

Try using =CLEAN(A1) where A1 is one of the cells containing the character. If it works, just copy it down, then do a copy, paste special-values to overwrite column A.

Sawedoff

Sawedoff,

the other fields are date/time. Column A is a date but at the start of a new page it gives this character. The Clean works but it messes up the date when dragged.

Thanks,

marcoman44,
is this the only character in the cell or part of a string?
regards,
longhair

You should be able to reformat the new column and bring back your date format after doing the clean. Try selecting the new column, Format - Cells, date and select the one you like.

Sawedoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back