Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Square credit card payments for desktop application

Status
Not open for further replies.

JScannell

Programmer
Jan 9, 2001
US
Has anyone come across a desktop application dll that would allow for making credit card payments?

At the very least, it should interface with Square.

I have found some web stuff, but nothing that would work with a desktop application.

Windows, visual studio 2015, vb.net or C#.

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Jerry Scannell

Maybe you could do it indirectly by using SendKeys to the Square Virtual Terminal.

I know it is a pretty crap solution since you can't touch the keyboard or change mouse focus while sendkeys is happening. It may or may not work for you. Another alternative is to contact Square and ask them if they have a DLL you can interface to.

Thanks for the reply. Apparently Square doesn't allow for interfacing from desktop applications. I don't know why.

Jerry Scannell

There are all sorts of reasons why companies do not allow interfacing

1) they have to have a properly define the interface - this is a lot of work
2) documentation has to be written - has to include examples
3) some form of licencing has to be introduced otherwise anyone can take the DLL and use it anywhere

If they haven't thought of any of these when designing the software, it is a lot of work to redesign the interface for public use.

Not to mention that square doesn't want someone spoofing card present transactions...

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back