Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sqlnet and Net8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello all,

Can anyone tell me the impact on BO if I were to upgrade Oracle Sqlnet to Net8. when database objects are created in BO are they Sqlnet specific in anyway ? Is there a migration strategy available or does BO not care what is used (SQLNET or NET8) ?

Is this information held in INI files,registry entries or database tables

Any help much appreciated

Shahid

BO can use Net*8 aswell as SQl*Net. You can change your connection type in Supervisr or Designer. You may come across isssues when you have both installed on a client due to having 2 oracle homes. BO will ignore the settings your Ora 8 home selector defines it looks in the wring place in the registry. this can be resloved by hacking your registry to tell BO where the ora home it should use is . Hope this helps. Try it out in a dev environment, i'll help you out if you have problems finding the registry hack

Thanks Bob.

I have installed BO 4.1 myself and noticed that the only connection options available were SQL*NET 2.3 and ODBC.The middleware test failed.

I checked the registry entries and it is explicitly looking for Oracle 7 DLLs. However, I can make a test connection to an Oracle 8 instance using Net8 , and the server responds(it cant be anything esle as I only have Net8 running), but failed to parse the SQL while trying to use free form SQL to create a test report.Said that it cannot pass v6 syntax to an Oracle 8 database. So is there a workaround tothis or is it purely a version problem ?

Thanks for your help

We use both SQL*Net 2.3 and Net8.

We have to keep all the connections to the databases as Oracle 7.2 so both net8 and SQL*Net can access the database.

If I create an Oracle 8 connection the SQL*Net computers can not connect as the Oracle 8 connection is net8 specific.

The other problem that we have is that we have to put an old .dll (/orant/bin/ociw32.dll) back if net8 is installed as the prevent access to an Oracle 7 database.

Hope this is of some help

ATP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back