Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQLLDR and Network Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

htran

Technical User
Apr 21, 2003
US
Hi all,

I am executing an SQLLDR command to load data into a table on my Oracle 8i database. The control files are located on the Oracle server, however, the dat files are located on another NT server.

I am getting the following error message every time:

SQL*Loader-500: Unable to open file (\\another_server\shared_folder\ref.dat)
OSD-04002: unable to open file
O/S-Error: (OS 5) Access is denied.

I read some articles on the net about dat files being on the network drives and it appears that the dat files must be on the Oracle box.

Can someone confirm this before I look further for other things?

Thanks...

this sounds like a permissions problem rather than an Oracle software limitation.

based on your post I'm assuming the following:

1. Oracle is running on windows (topic for another post)
2. Oracle service(s) running as system user
3. shared folder is on windows (or possibly novell)

try running your oracle service(s) as a "real" user with permissions on the shared folder. I had a similar issue several years ago when I was in consulting. client had a batch file that was supposed to write a cold backup to a shared folder. it took them a while to it to "click" why their script didn't understand "G:" when run by the scheduler service.

I'm pretty sure this is possible if you work out the permissions.

1) Yes, Oracle is running on Windows.
2) Yes, Oracle is running as a system user.
3) Yes, shared folder is on Windows. However, I know that it is not a permission issue on the folder as I managed to copy the files to and from that folder using DOS command.

I will write another script to move the files to the local server where Oracle resides and let you know.

Thanks....

I stand by my diagnosis...

the fact that you can copy the file from a dos shell proves nothing about Oracle's ability to access the file.

I just did a quick test and had no problem getting sqlldr(.exe) on a windoze box to read a csv on a novell server and load it to a database on a linux server so it can be done and the most likely (though admittidly not certain) cause is permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back